Saturday, July 31, 2010

Day 36 Valpo to Kendallville, IN

Left ValPo at 615 and arrived at came tonite at 1815. Total time in the saddle was 8 hours and 30 minutes. Long day. 108.8 miles. I felt as if I was pedaling hard but only able to muster 11 mph.

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjXMd91kDfFxh4sRuFBL4GjGnYGPpoL6gIMNWiwOcO2x8WP1fKAbK5fga7Dbn5F97oES0OFx6LPQIxbbB3fn4UaodJ5gte5v9c6wpG-dqG66-Mn77FsjZgGJ8VWVM5ErONI7T1VxMWdOjaf/s1600/DSC02673.JPG">

Dogs chased us on 2 occasions with me suddenly shouting "pedal faster" as they approached! Amy thought I was commenting on her speed when I was actually shouting out in fear! :)

(this photo must have been taken prior to the dog chase...)

Best part of the day was passing a horse and buggy on the left! Rode thru Amish and Menonite communities. Many riding bikes, many buggies, and 1 flatbed with a chair on it! I am definitely interested in learning more about their culture.

While riding into Wakarusa, a 77 year old gentleman rode with Amy and me. He is a 4 year survivor of colon cancer and he had just rode 45 miles prior to joining us. So cool to hear his story and see his persistence and hope in the face of great illness. He definitely was a glimmer of light and hope!


No comments:

Post a Comment